Saturday, January 6, 2007

Europe Trip Part 2 - Vatican City

I should say the time we spent in each of the places, was so not enough to look at all there was to see. I too wished we could spend a week in every country, but it doesnt work that way I guess. I mean, I am probably never going to visit the places I went to ever again, so I might as well see all I can while I am there right. I did envy a few of the folks who were on the tour with us, who were visiting the places for the second time, just because they liked it the first time! And it was only us, who were clicking pictures left and right, taping movies and every little detail out guide was pointing to. In fact I was a little ashamed, I felt like this villager in the city aaawwww-ing at everything I was seeing. So obviously, I went on to sulk at K whenever he asked me to pose for a picture. But now , I really wish I had taken more pictures. I know K is definitely reading this! :) And he said I will regret later for not taking many pictures. But there were all these others in our group, who did not take that many pictures. I am wondering if they are regreting it too.

Anyways that was slightly tangential to what I was going to say.

We were very very tired the next day, with the travelling and jet lag. But we managed to wake up on time for breakfast at 6:45. This was the only day in our trip that we were on time for breakfast. K loves the free breakfast buffet in hotels. He loves bread and butter and jam, and there are plenty of varieties of bread.
So after a breakfast for 45 mins, taking to some of the families in the tour, knowing them a little, we set off to the Vatican.

I never in my life thought I would visit the Vatican. The smallest independant state in the world, with a population of less than thousand. Huge walls surrounded the Vatican City, separating it from Italy. It was funny, when our guide said, now you are in Vatican, and you step out of here and you will be in Italy.



We went pretty early to stand in the line for the Vatican Museum. Once we got in, it was faster because we already had the tickets. It kind of helped to have the guide with us, because she knew the good ones that we might be interested in.

The paintings, artwork and frescos were, to say the least, mind boggling. They were huge! Larger than life paintings. We stopped to admire some sculptures, potraits. It was interesting to observe that the sculptures, faces did not show much expression. And the body was naked and muscular. Michelangelo gave lot of importance to human body apparently. We saw some headless statues too. We later learnt that torso and head were made separately by different people and then stuck together later.
We came into this long huge hallway which was totally decorated with paintings on the ceiling. It was a amazing sight. There were tapestries hung on both sides of the walls, made by famous artists. They were all hundreds of years old, still preserved here. This hallway was apparently for the Pope to walk by at his leisure time, when weather was unsuitable outside!!



We then walked in the rooms with art of Caravaggio, Bernini, Leonardo, Raphael and others.

We were to walk into the Sistine Chapel, and since talking was not aloud inside, our guide, explained what we were going to see, outside the chapel itself. Michelangelo had done a wonderful job with the ceiling and the front wall. He apparently spent about 10 years locked within the Chapel, neck craned to the ceiling, painting. He gave more importance to the people in the painting, than the surroundings, and all that. He started off from Adam and Eve, and creation of Man, and everything. The Last Judgement is the painting on the front wall. He worked on it when there was depression all over the world and that reflected in his work. I guess you would be better off reading from The Vatican Museum website, than hearing it from me. :) Check it out here. It really is worth a read.

So we had some time inside the Sistene Chapel. We were not supposed to take pictures. We just stood there dumbfounded by the artwork that surrounded us. It was huge! And this is were the higher religious officials get together to elect the Pope. I got good bumps when I thought if that. And the work we were seeing was about 400 years old, still preserved, redone a few times. The paintings talked about the times. It was wonderful.

Ok for those who are already half asleep, museum is done! :)

We walked out of the Sistene Chapel, into the St Peter's Basillica. Well, the Vatican itself with its collection of history and art, is overwhelming for one day, really.


St. Peter's Basillica is the second largest church in the world. It was really huge. It took about an hour to go around the whole church. Sculptures and frescos, everywhere. Few popes were buried in there too. The highlight was the alter, which was huge, and made of bronze. There were chairs put up , because it was Christmas Eve, and there was going to be a midnight mass that night. Wow! To be able to attend a Christmas Mass in the oldest Church in the world, given by the Pope himself! Lot of history in there too, I am not going to bore you guys again.



We came outside, clicking profusely, saw the balcony from where the Pope stands to address people. We saw the Pope's residence and his work place. They were two windows which were lighted, and the Pope was working.



Outside was the St Peter's Square. Needless to say it was huge, with a fountain and statues. the sides of the church was amazing. There were chairs put up in the Square and a huge tall Christmas Tree, brought from Norway, in the centre, all lighted and ready for the night.

It was time for some lunch. We went to Cafe St Pietro, just close to the St. Peter's Basillica. We had some cold pasta and hot lasagna. I dont know if I can call it authentic. I know Coffee was American.
Needless to say everything was way to expensive. We got some souveniers, and some cash before going on our way to the Colosseum.
We did make a few accquaintances, as we asked one of our tour group to take a picture of both of us at all places.

It seems dignitaries get honorary citizenship of the Vatican. The whole city was very small, with the Basillica and the Museums taking most of the space. It was truly overwhelming.

Afternoon should probably be a blog by itself.

PS: Apologies if the blog was really boring, and you still managed to come to the end :)

No comments: