Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cruising across the Caribbean - Southern most point

Day 1

Saw us waking up and immediately staying still to see if the ship was rocking. As in was it moving or was it docked already. We couldnt feel a thing. Remember the TV channel on international flights that show you where you are flying, how long to the destination, the plane speed, outside temperature, etc etc? Well there was a channel on TV in our room too, that had something similar! So early in the morning we turned on the TV to that channel, just like I did many years ago on that plane as I woke up from an uncomfortable slumber. Yes, we were docked at Key West. Apparently right by downtown, close to everything. What would have been a 4hr drive from Ft Lauderdale actually took 12 hours by ship. :--) How fascinating.

We went to Lido Deck, that is deck 9. Our room was on Deck 6. Key west okay. It was my second visit. Our first stop on the cruise. We had breakfast and left the ship pretty early around 7:45. Since our tour director recommended this one trolly tour so much, we went for it, and that was the worst decision we made. The guide was talking about the patio designs of homes in Key West! What the? Seriously, I slept towards the end of the tour. That was the first and only mistake we did on the cruise.

It was hot, as is expected of Florida. The last time we were in FL, one evening at the beach and both of us were tanned, (read burned). And I sooo didnt want that to happen this time. So we carried not one but three tubes of sunscreen lotions. So with that applied, we rented bikes and biked around Key West. We went to the Southern Most Point in Continental US and took customary pictures.
We went back to the ship for lunch. That was the cool thing about Key West. We had lunch on Lido Deck. The heat was already taking a toll on us. We felt sleepy. We did take a short nap before heading back to shore with all our swimming gear.

We walked to a close by beach and had some fun time in the water. DH was trying to swim in the beach, splashing water all around himself. So I told him to stay away from me. There is this thrill, of watching the wave come by and jump with the wave, feel that fleeting moment of zero gravity as the wave keeps you afloat and washes you ashore. You have to jump at the right moment. Else you are screwed. And yes time flies when you are in the beach. Time passes by wave after wave, some laughs, lot of sun, some salty water on your lips, some hurting pebbles under your feet.

DH was looking at me with his back to the waves, as I warned him of any oncoming wave and he would jump. Since I was standing a few feet away from him, the same wave would reach me a microsecond later after it reached him. So this time, I warned him of an oncoming huge wave, and as he jumped, it was implusive, like my body involuntarily without thinking copied what it saw, I also jumped. So when I finished jumping and landed, that was when the wave reached me. I was under water for a split second, my eyes with contacts lens wet with salt water, burning, as I felt like I was drowning. That marked the end of our sojourn with the light blue Florida waters, we called it a day and headed back to the ship. I came to the room and instantly saw a tan on me, this inspite of having applied loads and loads of suntan. Tch tch.

Nothing like a nap after time at the beach. Sleep engulfs you into this dreamless land, where all cares, worries seem to float far away. Bliss!

Day ended with sumptuous dinner, dont remember what we ate. I do remember the dessert. Oh the melting chocolate cake was totally out of the world. Imagine, hot chocolate still warm and liquidy, top it with a scoop of vanilla icecream, the combination of hot chocolate with the cold icecream, played with your taste palattes, taking you to ecstasy.

We spent the rest of the evening at the theater watching some show which was too R rated for my taste.

Day 2

This day was Fun day at Sea. We thought we should take this day to explore the ship more in depth. But me being who I am, over enthusiastic, signed up for two classes at the Gym. Ya dont ask. We spent some time working out and attended the sessions, and lo! it was afternoon already. Btw did I tell you about the spa? Oh my God. I have never been to a Spa, ok, and I promise I will never ever dump money on something so lavish and unnecessary as the Spa. Cleanse your face, massage your body, remove wrinkles, remove cellulite, whiten your teeth, it was unending and priced exhorbitantly.

We played miniGolf on the top of the ship. Golf in the middle of the sea! Oh wait, even running on the threadmill was weird when doing in the middle of the sea. Since it was Sea day everyone was on the Lido deck on the beach chairs, laying down, soaking in the sun, reading or sleeping. At this point, people watching is the most fun thing to do. We watched the kids at the swimming pool, making their own movie, making friends at short times. We watched the youngsters scantily clad, running here and there, with something or the other to eat in their hand. We watched the middle aged folks, also scantily clad, which was a tad irritating to the eyes,reading some book, or just lying there. Some show was going on at the Seaside Theater.

There was some silly contest on the hairiest man on the ship. It ws funny to say the least, as the contestants came dancing and showing off their, well, hairy chest to everyone. The things people do when they are on vacation! :--)

We did try to go to the front of the ship, the tip of the deck to try the Titanic pose :--P We did some research on the layout of the ship and decided the tip should be on deck 4 and went all the way to the forward, till we hit dead end, aka Crew Only from a point. Total bummer it was. I mean they should let the tip of the ship accessible to the cruisers no?

By evening we began to get ready for the Captains Dinner. Our first formal night on the ship. Both of us were all decked up, and went to the International Lounge. Everybody was amazingly dressed. I was surprised when some ladies said I looked good :--P Its not everyday I get to hear that unless I am wearing Indian clothes.

So the Lounge had free drinks as much as anyone wanted, everything on the Captain of the ship :--) Unfortunately neither of us drink alcohol, so we had some delicious fruit punch. There was some nice music going on by some troup and people started getting on the stage, almost hiding the singers and started dancing. Again, people watching - good sport on a cruise. Some romantic couples cuddled close together dancing to the tune, some old couples dancing like they were brushing their teeth, especially the men, while the women were trying to ellicit some romance out of the proximity.

The Cruise director was being funny as usual and he introduced some of the big heads of the ship. Most importantly the Captain of the ship. It was super cool to see him. He made the most obvious joke. "If I am here, who is driving/navigating the ship?" We took some pictures of the crew and shook hands with them too.

Later we went to the restaurant for dinner. I think this was the day that they got us our cake for our Anniversary, although technically it was the next day. And I think it was this day that DH, wanting to be strict with his food choices, ordered a plate of fruit, a plate of boiled veggies, and baked potato with white rice! I dont know what DH was thinking. I tried out most of the spa options which were low calorie food, mostly fish and such. The funny part was when one of the overseeing managers came to DH and asked him if he was finding everything ok and that he should not be eating baked potato and white rice for dinner on a cruise!! That was enough embarassment for DH! :--) It was sooo funny. The things is we could order how many ever entrees we want, how many ever times. Its unlimited food. Its like they find ways to make you fatter and fatter and fatter.

So with that episode, we went on to the deck yet again, to enjoy the sail, the silent night, darkness all around except for the lights on the ship. It was strange albeit super. No one had trouble taking pictures of us, we were so nicely dressed. Its not often we get to see DH in a suit. And its not often I get dressed up, being the tomboy that I am.

I was sleepy early after dinner and we called it a night, after watching some movie on TV. Oh and this day they had my much awaited towel pet :--) I just checked my pictures, it was a snake. :--D I took a picture with the towel snake, little knowing... oh, thats a different post. :--)

PS: Do wait for the next post for the more interesting parts. :--)
All pictures have either us or the people on the ship, so no pictures yet.

No comments: